Pure Pleasure

I am most impressed with the durability of actual pleasures. What I mean is real pleasure rooted in the good creation God made and utilized in an upright way. This is a new experience for me as I have been so accustomed to running, in so many different ways, from the inherent difficulties in life. I found that I could not take pleasure in things or even in you, my God. Anxiety and fear drove me constantly to the point that I did not stop to look at a beautiful sunset, or sit quietly enjoying a cup of tea or enjoy listening to my wife tell me about the day. I was too driven and busy to do “important” things to waste my time.

I have long found a refuge of sorts in rational thought and reflection. This is why I have read so much over the years. But now the experience of reading and critical reflection is somehow different and my ability to enjoy the normal process of rational thought is enhanced. And with that also to enjoy seeing the beauty of the natural world and consciously do routine tasks with a sense of dignity.

Are not our activities layered with a subtle complexity of form and wisdom that, if we seek to understand them, make them interesting in and of themselves? How is that I can read and comprehend the text of a good book? How does the act of reading words on the page translate into comprehension and insight and even move me to think or act differently? Why is it that when I exercise my body working outside at my home or helping someone move (or whatever else) that I feel so good even while I am physically worn?

Is it not the curse of sin-infested human life that people cannot appreciate the incredible beauty and simplicity of true pleasure? This problem is endemic to modern culture and people have articulated this in literature and poetry and everyday conversation. We call this being “bored.” The answer to this is more than shifting to a new intellectual paradigm (world-view); it requires much more than that—one’s mind must be cleansed from the perversity of sin and one must want to learn to utterly depend upon the Lord Jesus to energize one’s whole self. Then one can perceive clearly (and with increasingly greater acuteness) what is true, virtuous and beautiful. This is what you have done in me, my Lord!

Paul was certainly right and spoke with great insight when he cut through the perspectives of the fleshly minded:

“To the pure all things are pure, but to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure. Their very minds and consciences are corrupted. They profess to know God, but they deny him by their actions. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.” (Titus 1:15-16, NRSV)

Everything in life can have its proper place when you are given your rightful place of rule. You declared (you still do declare) that the Kingdom is near—repent! Yes, Lord, you seek your rightful position to fill up our whole selves and thus give all our lives meaning.

This is the key to getting into that position of inner victory and then as the result to be able to take joy in pure pleasure—real created pleasure and not the synthetically designed means we have devised to escape from relationship with the living God, from hardship and intimacy and service with other people. This is the utilization of things as tools for good, to respect and love people and not abuse them for one’s selfish ends; to give due credit and honor to God for having built into oneself and life on earth means of enjoyment appropriate to the transience of our short time on earth and thus not use anything or anyone as a means in and of itself. (1 Corinthians 7:29-31)

The cry of the psalmists to God is often that the wicked will end up the one’s ashamed and disappointed—for they have rejected the reign and authority of God’s good rule over them and then in in turn have persecuted those who do have faith in the living God. But the righteous persons know that there is a better portion to be found in the God of Israel. Thanks and praise be to God that he is a refuge and that he has prepared for his own good things to enjoy because they trust in him rather than foolishly embrace idolatry.

“You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.” (Psalm 16:11, NASBU) This is the cry of one who knows that all true pleasure comes from the living God as a gift and can only be experienced in fullness in him. And this has become my cry to you, my faithful Father. For you have love me with an everlasting love!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theophan the Recluse on Combating the Passions

The Charisms of the Holy Spirit in the Life of Churches

Christendom, Converts and Spiritual Conversion